Thursday, September 19, 2013

In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson

In the Year of the Boar and Jackie RobinsonIn the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson by Bette Bao Lord
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Listened to the audio version of it. Maybe I am shaded by the reading of it. Read this for a 3rd and 4th grade book club. I think it might be a little simplistic for this age group. I believe it was unrealistic in its portrayal of race relations in Brooklyn at this point. All the jokes seem to be at the main character's expense and due to limited English speaking ability or the fact that she is actually two years younger than everyone else due to Asian people counting birthdays differently.

My 4th grader is not all that interested in it either. She is a hesitant reader in the first place, and this book just isn't keeping her attention.

View all my reviews

No comments: