Wednesday, January 31, 2007

QotD: It's Like Riding A Bike

Who taught you how to ride a bike?

My grandpa.  He took the training wheels off of my little blue bike and set me to learning.  After multiple falls on the back patio, he went out and bought me a bigger red bike.  Him and my mom pushed me off in the front yard grass and off I went. 

I taught my oldest this summer.  Teaching a kid to ride a bike is scary as a parent.  You are putting your children in the road.  That is scary enough, but you are also giving your children their first taste of freedom and independence.  It is weird knowing that they will start needing you less and less.  Riding a bike was the herald of this epiphamy for me.  I have to start passing control of her life to her.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: