Friday, May 31, 2013

An Epiphany


I spent the first 25 years of my life proving to myself that I was invincible.  I have spent the last 10 years disabusing myself of that belief. 

I saw some children running around a fountain in a park today.  Their parents kept telling them to stop running.  These kids were playing and aged around 2-4.  They will never feel invincible.  While it may seem that they are ahead of the curve, a lot of my successes and triumphs have stemmed from the belief or the memory of the belief that I was invincible and could do anything.  These children are being crippled.  When I have proven myself mortal those where humbling times that I also learned from.  There is a difference in being proved mortal and assuming it from the get go.  Every child should face that test themselves.

Secondly- In a nation where obesity in children is become epidemic, should we ever tell a child to stop running?  I think not.  Run children!  Scraped knees heal and chicks dig scars...Well... they used to. 

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yeah, today's kids could use the exercise.
They will make mistakes and fall. That's part of life. Let them.

The Angry Lurker said...

....and climb trees and sometimes fall and get back up again and try again!

SteveB said...

I agree 100% -- I think the scripted lives of today's children are a real detriment. Don't run. Don't play in the dirt. Only do these pre-organized activities.

Not only does this attitude hurt their physical development (running is good), I also think this tends to shut down their imagination, which might be even worse.