Sunday, September 27, 2009

Repo! The Genetic Opera

I watched this the other night because the local science fiction convention made a bid deal about getting one of the people responsible for the movie as a guest. 

I will have to say that I was unimpressed.  The trailer got me excited but the actual film was a let down.  Books are supposed to show you not tell you, so movies may need to take that to the next level.  This movie (I can't insult opera or musicals by calling it either), sadly explained every little thing and mostly in comic book pages inserted throughout the movie.  The songs were forgettable and that is the kiss of death for any musical production.  When I say forgettable though, it is my nice way of saying bad.  Anthony Head is in this and he is a very talented singer, but most of the rest of the cast were terrible. 

The plot is interesting at first glance but it isn't really developed.  It just kind of stumbles along.  With all of the telling that they do, one finishes the movie with a pretty bad sense of why anything happened.  After about 30min, I was ready to give up, but I finished it for my loyal readers.  I kept hoping it would get better or that one of the songs would be really clever and that I would end up liking it. 

Musical tastes may differ, so some people may like this movie.  I did not and cannot in good faith recommend that anyone sit through this movie.  As a lot of other reviewers have said, this movie wanted to be good and is quite an ambitious undertaking.  In the end, it just falls flat.  Paris Hilton is in this movie and actually plays her part well and this is one of the few good things I can say about it. 

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: