Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Proud Parenting Moments

blogger Tags: , , , , ,

This morning, I had one of those rare proud parenting moments.  One of those moments that reassures you that you are doing a sufficient job in raising your child.  There are a lot of cool moments when your kids do something that make you laugh or make you happy but the ones where they make you proud are fewer. 

This morning as I was getting ready for work and the girls were waiting for their breakfast, I told my youngest to read the book she had gotten from the library.  She grabbed the book and sat down in the recliner.  Her sister came and sat beside her.  They made an arrangement; The oldest would read the left hand page and the youngest would read the right.    My oldest patiently let her sister read and only helped her when she was asked or something was mispronounced. 

It was great that they sat there reading to each other.  It is one of those times that you know are fleeting.  The oldest is almost 10 and will soon hate her sister tagging along.  The youngest is 6 and will soon not head her sisters guidance.  What made me proud though, was the way my oldest handled it.  The patience and lovingness she showed were beyond words.  I pulled her aside afterwards and told her that she was a great big sister.  And yes, I told the youngest that she did a great job with her reading.

They were reading Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean

No comments: