Friday, August 05, 2011

Creep review and casting

Creep is Jennifer Hillier's debut novel.  In full disclosure, I have been following her blog for a while, so I might not be an impartial observer.  On the other hand, I don't generally read thrillers, uless they are Micheal Crichton scifi thrillers (hey Jennifer, you should totally consider this considering we lost Crichton).  So, this book was a little out of my comfort range.

It was good, I mean that is what you want to know, and, it being a thriller, you don't really want anything else spoiled.  I usually read on the train going to and from work.  I get in about 25 pages each way.  Creep is 368 pages, so it should have meant a good 7 days worth of reading.  I ripped through it.  Thursday evening I was at about page 275 and if you are at page 275 of this book you are not likely to put it down for long, so I continued to read through when I got home.  So, yeah, I was into it. 

To change things up a little bit- I thought I would cast some of the characters as they were portrayed in my mind movie.  Hollywood, if you are listening, this would be a money maker, and if you want to use my casting ideas, email me for the address to send the check to. 
Dr. Sheila Tao- Our Chinese American Psyche professor would be played by the delectable and still sexy at almost 50 Ming-Na could play the 39 year old Tao I think.  Just imagine her with that red
Morris- Dr. Tao's ex-football O-lineman is just screeming to be played by Puddy, I mean Patrick Warburton.  He might have to add some pounds for the role but he could do it.  His real life son could even play Morris' estranged son. 
Ethan- the antagonist, psyche student that has an affair with his teacher could be played by Justin Hartley of Smallville fame.  Wow, I didn't realize he was that old, he is my age.  
Abbey- Ethan's girlfriend- Mila Kunis would be pitch perfect
Jerry-the ex beat cop turned private investigator could be played by an aged Orlando Jones.  His wife could be a nice role for Michelle Yeoh. 

Agree or disagree with my casting?  Let me know who you would cast. 

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Haven't read it, but everyone seems to dig it.

Golden Eagle said...

I haven't read it yet, either.

Thanks for the review!

Jennifer Hillier said...

These are great casting choices! (Wait, who did you pick for Sheila? I think the sentence got cut off)

Thanks so much for the review, Budd. Glad you enjoyed the book. :)

Jennifer Hillier said...

Love Ming Na for Sheila! Most people say Lucy Lu, but Ming Na is a much better fit in my head.

I like all your picks, Budd! I always imagined a young John Goodman for Morris, but other than that, I couldn't really see anybody's faces. Funny how that goes.

Summer Ross said...

I have yet to read this but those I know who have seem to really like it.

Olen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Interesting! I haven't read this, Budd, but love the idea that you are casting for a book!

Monti
http://marymontaguesikes.blogspot.com

Admin said...

Something about debut novels... I always like them.