Monday, June 10, 2013

Doing summersaults in his grave

As a reader of Thoreau's Walden, I felt that it was my duty to make a pilgrimage to Walden Pond.  Being as it is a 30 minute drive from my house, the question should be asked as to why I have never done it before.  I guess, deep down, I knew what I would find. 

Walden Reservation is a state park and the upkeep is great.  It offers a public beach with on duty life guard and swimming is allowed at your own risk at many other places around the pond.  Parking is $5.  The beach is free.  I think it is the beach that is my problem.  There are so many people there.  Walden is no longer a tranquil place, it is not a place one can go to be alone. 

I don't think that this is what Thoreau wanted the place to be like when he left it.  Of course, he never had any ownership of it to begin with.  I am sure the state makes a pretty penny on parking and from the gift shop.  I imagine Thoreau is currently doing summersaults in his grave.  He will enentually break through to the surface and people being in loud crowds at Walden Pond will be cause of the Zombie Apocalypse. 

That said, there are some nice swimming holes off of the beach.  The girls want to go back for more swimming and less educational stuff, and I will likely cede the point.  I guess we will be going to Walden to swim deliberately. 

1 comment:

SteveB said...

Poor Zombie Thoreau. I often wonder about the Founding Fathers and whether they'd like what they see.

Some yes, some no, I think.