Monday, June 17, 2013

To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a MockingbirdTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I didn't read this in high school. I was in honors English my entire time in High School and I didn't read this. I guess I slipped through the cracks. I mean I had heard a lot of love for this book and for the movie, but it was always that book that people had to read in school. To me this put it in a category with the Scarlet Letter. If it was great, it was great compared to other forced reading.

I have read this book of my own accord after people, whose opinions I respect, have said that I should. It is an amazing book. Scout, Jem, and Dill are real kids. They think like real kids and play games that real kids play. These characters are very real and fit perfectly into the very fleshed out setting of Macomb, Alabama. The plot is simultaneously heartbreaking and uplifting and is probably the best description of the time period and the conflicted feelings that came with it.

It is an excellent book. I have recommended this book to my 12 year old as I am quite sure that she will like it.

View all my reviews

No comments: