Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Lazy Bums



Having a 5 y/o and a 2 y/o, I have now reached the time in my life when I need to start saving for their college for them.  Society dictates that to become a good parent I must look out for my children's future by saving for college.

Why!?!

No one ever saved for college for me.  I had to get out in the rough and tumble of the world and find my own way.  Know what?  It made a man out of me.  I took my lumps early and learned from the mistakes while I could still afford to.  There was no calling mommy and daddy for some extra money so I could eat.  I worked or I starved.  It made me understand that I didn't like being a wage slave. 

I did what a lot of people do to get money for college.  I joined the military.  I grew up a lot there too.  I learned from my own mistakes and more often than not the mistakes of others.  I not only earned money for college but how to lead men. 

Yeah, deep down I wish I would have had the normal college experience of partying until I failed out of classes, experimenting with drugs, dropping out, then back in, then back out, and paying back student loans for forty years.  Yeah, I envy those guys. 

I will save some money for my children's college.  Probably not enough, but I will save.  This will give them the ability to make their own way, at least partially.  If they need more, I will encourage the military over student loans.  Public service is a virtue.  Maybe my kids will be gifted in athletics or scholastics and they will get that free ride.  Maybe the lottery will still be around and they will get lottery scholarships that pay most of the bill. 

I guess all I can do is be a good parent and save.

No comments: