Friday, May 18, 2012

Abortion and Child Support

Don’t ask me how I came to this conclusion or what we were talking about, just take it on my word that I had an epiphany in the middle of a conversation with my wife.  In the not to near future, a guy will use the abortion defense to relieve himself of paying child support.  He will argue that it was her body and her choice and nobody asked him what he wanted to do and that he should therefore not have to pay a penny for the woman’s decision. 
 
I mean, it is a natural progression.  This guy’s case will have considerable weight if he can prove that he was not in a continuous relationship with the woman during conception and that he was against the birth during pregnancy.  Abortion laws have established that it is the woman’s body and therefore her choice on what to do.  The man has no right to input.  That guy that got her pregnant during that one night stand is nothing more than a donor.  I am sure that this landmark decision will get all kinds of women’s groups angry when it happens.  It will possibly turn the abortion argument, the child support argument, or both on their heads.  I am actually surprised that I have not heard of it happening to this point.  The guy could legitimately make an argument that he didn’t even care as it was her body and, therefore, her decision. 
 
I am not saying any of this is right or wrong.  I am not making an opinion on abortion or paying child support.  I am simply taking the two seemingly not very related topics and looking at them together and reaching a conclusion. 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well, you're right - it could happen.